Naughty Bits

Monday, April 16, 2007

Because this just seemed like the sort of thing that belongs on this blog

Girls outdo guys at ogling

Women are worse oglers than men - despite the widespread belief they are less physically focused.

Scientists used eye-tracking technology to pinpoint what people looked at when shown a series of sexy photos, reports The Sun.

They expected women to be more interested in faces and men in the naughty bits - but it was the other way round.

Dr Heather Rupp of the US-based Kinsey Institute said: "Men looked at the female face much more than women and both looked at the genitals comparably."


So, there you go.

...


Today is a beautiful day, with temperatures approaching seventy degrees. This would almost be too warm for comfort, except there's this cool breeze blowing now and then, just to cool things off. What else could you ask for?

I am therefore going out onto the balcony with a comfortable chair, a notebook, a freshly-filled fountain pen, and a bag of pretzels that no one will care if they leave crumbs on the ground.

Last night, I typed up about half of what I'd hand-written for the Rome novel so far, and was pleased to see that it was around four thousand words of text that I enjoyed reading as I typed.

Even later last night (something I paid for when I got up very early this morning) I kept writing where those handwritten bits left off. Earlier in the week, failing to remember the gist of where I'd left off when I wanted to do some writing (and was not at home) I picked a scene that I knew came a little ways ahead and I started writing from there. I got about fifteen pages handwritten from that point. So last night and this morning, I wrote the bit that bridged the two scenes together, and it worked very well.

It also, without intending to, solved a minor problem that I was expecting in another ten pages or so.

I noticed that with my last novel as well, now I come to think about it. I'll anticipate a problem ahead (Problem: I know why Our Hero goes into the hold of the ship; I don't know why the guards and the crew let him) and mostly ignore it, because I'm busy with the actual writing stuff. By the time I approach the problem, something has happened in the text which explains it away perfectly, and I don't have to consciously do anything to try and fix it (Solution: The guards think he's going after the guy who tried to kill Our Hero, failed, and was thrown in the hold with other people; the guards are wrong, that's not the reason, but they let Our Hero down anyway and hope for a good brawl).

So, off to the balcony to write. I already said that. Time to find out what happens when Our Hero's fever breaks and he is approaching sane for the first time in a long time (how long? He'll find out shortly.)


5 Angst(s):

s.w. vaughn said...

Sounds like a fab story shaping up there. :-) Were you inspired by Rome, the television show?

Peter Damien said...

I really wasn't. Actually, after I got interested in the idea, I took notice of the Rome TV show and thought it would maybe be a fine thing to watch.

I admit, I didn't enjoy the TV show as much as I thought I would. In a lot of ways, it felt like I was watching "The Sopranos: Rome Edition"

(er. which is probably realistic, in that the major difference between Rome aristocracy and the Mob is the togas and swords).

Rllgthunder said...

I hope you're doing some research there, Pete.

I've discovered there are too many geeky nerdy dweebie people out there with odd ideas on how the fictional world should work.

Peter Damien said...

The joy of research is, if you're interested, it's just reading. :)

(update not worthy of another blog post) I did another good six pages today. Most importantly, I consistently know what happens next. Which is a relief.

s.w. vaughn said...

I'm glad to hear that - I don't like Rome the TV show either. :-) Matter of fact, I really don't like television much at all. It was better back in the day...