Remember to Breathe

Friday, February 2, 2007

I'm writing this about an hour before my j... j... j... job interview. It occurred to me that I haven't had an actual interview since early 1993. Yeah. Fourteen years ago. My last job, I ran into the new editor of the newspaper and said, "I'd love to work at the paper!" and she said, "Okay!" That was my interview. Even that was in 1996.

I haven't had an actual job since 1997. EARLY 1997. Midway through my pregnancy, Hubby and I decided I should stay home, which is where I've been ever since.

Last month, Hubby's company informed him that the place was closing. So I had been thinking about going back to work myself. Well, he got a job that will pay about the same as before, with the same benefits. So the pressure was off.

Then, out of the blue, a relative showed up with a job application and a copy of a job posting. At first, I'm like pffffft, I don't need a job. Then I got to reading it. It's an office job, the pay is really good, and it has benefits. Really good ones. It's close to home, and at a place I already do business with.

So I decided to fill out the application and turn it in.

And now I'm going for an interview.

I think I'm going to puke.

*whimper*

**UPDATE**

Well, I didn't barf on anyone. I didn't even retch! Yay!

It ended up that my interview was done by three people at the same time. No pressure there! It seemed to go really well. They asked me a bunch of questions, and I think I bullshitted pretty well. ;o)

They said they'd make their decision and let me know within a week. It's out of my hands now, so I believe I'm done freaking out.

8 Angst(s):

san_remo_ave said...

Hope your interview went well!

Peter Damien said...

Ahhh, she'll be running the company tomorrow by teatime. No sweat.

(That's standard teatime, in the afternoon, not Writer Teatime, which is thirty seconds after getting out of bed.)

san_remo_ave said...

Writer Teatime, huh? Does iced tea qualify?

Peter Damien said...

Due to the finicky nature of writers, I don't think Writer's Teatime even has to involve anything TEA-related at all. "Making a pot of tea with extra care and time" could be substituted for "vacuuming beneath the furniture," or "arranging your Alice Cooper CDs in chronological order, even the bootlegs," or "having coffee."

That's the thing about writers, I guess. :-)

(I would quite like a cup of tea right now, thanks. Although I absolutely Do Not Get Iced Tea, so I'll take mine hot.)

Carrie said...

Thanks Melissa! *grin*

I love iced tea. I drink iced tea all day long!

It'll probably take me a few days to get to CEO... *grin*

Peter Damien said...

"You're fired!"

"What?"

"Oh. Er. Sorry. It's not monday yet, is it? Ah well. Never mind!"

san_remo_ave said...

Glad to hear you survived the interview, Carrie! Fingers crossed you get the job.

Iced tea is a southern tradition, altho I'll admit I cannot take the pre-sweetened version (tea with your sugar, anyone?). My hubby's picky about his tea and prefers Earl Grey for his brew (iced or hot) --no Lipton, 'round here.

Peter Damien said...

I'm from Louisiana, so I'm allowed to completely bypass all Southern traditions. Except for Jambalaya. You can pry Jambalaya from my cold dead fingers, etc.

(is really craving Jambalaya. Creole-style "red" Jambalaya...mmmm)

Earl Gray is a particular favorite of mine. But loose leaf, and hot, definitely not iced tea. Maybe that will be what my next post is about... :)